News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Handy link to TAP Twin Commander Classifieds  (Read 11942 times)

Willis

• Retired: Engineer; PE, PhD, Professor Emeritus
Handy link to TAP Twin Commander Classifieds
« on: October 06, 2015, 10:59:41 pm »
-Bud

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: Handy link to TAP Twin Commander Classifieds
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:16:07 am »
I'm delighted to see that the 500-series is keeping their value up pretty well! When I was looking at piston Commanders the only ones  could afford to get into were bathtub 500's or any of the geared older ones (520, 560 and 680). Don't see many of those for sale today. I briefly considered a 685 as a big tourer, but decided against it after talking to Morris and others.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:04:33 am »
Yeah, I was thinking about a 685 myself but I have to fly out of a 2900' grass strip and it didn't think it would do very well there.  I also fly up to Pennsylvania from time to time and for some reason all of their airports up there that I fly into are 2000 - 2500' strips.  Hopefully my 680FP will be able to handle them just fine.  The 310 has been dealing with them perfectly.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:05:06 pm »
Metzger took a 685 into his little 1W1 Grove field (2700ft) a couple of times, but I wouldn't try this at home kids!
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Stephen Matusick

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 05:03:33 pm »
Adam, can I ask what was said about the 685?  I've been talking about it, I got some new photos of the instrument panel and such from the sellers- was thinking about a trip down to Tenn. to check it out. Its currently in for its annual.

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 04:21:29 pm »
My 680FP is at the shop that does the annual on that plane.  I was actually looking hard at it but never actually went to fly it.  Depending on your plans and runway lengths I've heard its a good plane and the mechanic told me that particular plane was in pretty good shape.  I don't know all the specifics but could put you in touch with the mechanic if you're interested.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Stephen Matusick

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 08:51:02 pm »
Glenn, I think my wife and I are going to head down there in a couple weeks- I'll let me wife tell me what she thinks between the 685 and 500A- and I'll go from there. The 685 looks good, but obviously there's the care and upkeep of those monster engines :)

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 09:02:34 am »
No need to bring the wife if you aren't going to choose based on cost of ownership :-)  She'll pick the 685 guaranteed.  Let me know when you're actually going and if I'm in town and the Commander is flying maybe my wife and midget will fly up to meet you. 

I've got trips planned over next couple weeks, hopefully in the Commander.  I don't think I've ever been so excited to get to fly an airplane.  It's like a dream come true and its right over the horizon.

Glenn
--glenn