News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 840 -10 For Sale  (Read 9335 times)

Bruce Byerly

840 -10 For Sale
« on: December 30, 2023, 09:41:20 pm »
My plane, N840DR Sn 11669, is available.  I bought a Phenom yesterday for our business including charter ops.

This plane has received full care and feeding from our 2 service centers for years.  It has good engine times, recent and extensive gear overhaul with nose gear upgrades, long range fuel, enviro systems and freon, wide chord props, a new pilot windshield, and I have all Garmin and STec 3100 parts in stock including dual 10” G600Txi screens for the panel upgrade of my dreams. However, everything works including the stock AP106 and preselect which is smooth as can be so I have not taken it out of service yet. I will sell it “as is” or with the new panel, paint, and interior upgrades.

Like many, if not most, Commanders, the plane has some history of damage many years ago which was repaired by the best US Service Centers. As I recall, it blew a tire in Panama 20+ years ago and the pilot pulled the gear handle up turning off the runway sometime before or after that. In each case we flew it to the US for repair. From Denmark, it was based in Quito, Ecuador for years and it’s the plane I really came to appreciate the 1600nm non-stop capability when flying to Miami.

I picked the plane because of the options, the original gear doors, the high level of maintenance and the fact I’ve known, maintained, and flown it for almost 30 years. Plus I could pick my own panel.   But I can’t justify the Shrike and a jet and an 840 at the same time, not to mention the 601P (also available) and a J3 Cub, so if you’re looking for a strong -10 airplane, N840DR should be at the top of the list.

I’ve flown it coast to coast with my family and for business for a few hundred hours and it’s never let me down. Long legs are my norm with 6+ hours of range. It’s a strong 840 with 300+ knots capability even ISA +20 and it continues to amaze me. I run it conservatively at 96-97% from after takeoff to final where it delivers 294-304 KTAS at cruise altitudes, mostly FL270-280 where it’s happiest.

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/209971441/1981-commander-840-turboprop-aircraft

$895,000 as it sits plus your choice of options and a close-in schedule for the avionics and paint.

Frankly, after flying 840AM quite a bit lately and enjoying the 3100 and coupled Vnav , I appreciate the planes as much or more than ever but it doesn’t fit my business needs for upgrading our charter certificate to turbojet capacity.

Give me a call to discuss what will work best for you.

Bruce
309-397-2525
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 09:50:33 pm by Bruce Byerly »

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: 840 -10 For Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 01:09:59 am »
She sounds like a dream, Bruce. Wish I was financially equipped.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 09:21:43 am »
Sounds like a great airplane!

What are the nose gear upgrades? I did my gear overhaul last year, and I don't remember anything? Other than the inspection, and I think there was an upgraded collar or something from some years ago?

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 12:16:06 pm »
All of the billet parts to replace the sheet metal hat box and pivot. I forgot the CK kit number but it has been around a long time.  Every Commander either already has it, needs it, or will need it if it’s flown much.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 12:46:08 pm »
I'm pretty sure mine has had that... the gear has now been overhauled three times in my ownership!

I've thought about a jet various times, but in the end I come back to the fact that any jet that would be an improvement for me would cost me a significant additional investment, and most likely double my annual operating budget. Operating the Commander is not quite a stretch for me, but it's a lot of money, and doubling that would be difficult.

Something like an Eclipse would be the only real alternative that I could afford, and I couldn't do the trip I'm on now-- 6 passengers and bags to the Bahamas. I couldn't do the trip I did last month, 5 passengers, bags, and golf bags, to southern California, in an Eclipse either.

An old Citation would sort of work, but again at a much higher annual budget. So the Commander is it for me.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 05:38:50 pm »
Yep.  I understand all of that and agree. But we operate 5 Phenoms now plus have the ability to charter it so it makes sense. And they are the most economical light jet. I could never get by with an Eclipse - need a real airplane.  Even without my own, I’ll still get a couple hundred hours flying Commanders and we easly have the largest commitment and investment in support for the planes in the world.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 09:18:31 pm »
Thank you for that support! Happy New Year!

schrambow

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 09:51:06 pm »
Happy New Year to everyone here!

5 phenoms Bruce!  Man, you are up in the 40+ flight levels now- might have to call you an astronaut!  Better keep that differential pumping good on Max Air though!
Those babies are 2 or 3 times the operating costs and maintenance of our Turbo's you think?  Unless someone is still on MSP gold with Honeywell, if so, then it is probably about even, right?

Not that my gold mine has ever found any gold yet nor my oil well has pumped any oil yet, therefore i am not in that type of market, i am very happy with where i am at now!  But what are your thoughts on the Honda Jet compared to the Phenom's?  I know you are a large service center for the Phenom's, so you would probably get into trouble from the Brazilians if you said anything negative about them here and it got out to the public.  Maybe sometime this winter i can come down and buy you a burger and a beer and listen to you talk about P&W 617-F FADEC's Maintenace invoices and compare them to the -10's?
Corey

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 12:37:03 am »
HondaJet's keep running off the rwy!

But the announced 2600 model of the Honda sure looks amazing on paper. Transcontinental non-stop as a single pilot plane - that's a game changer.
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2024, 05:51:29 pm »
Happy New Year to everyone here!

5 phenoms Bruce!  Man, you are up in the 40+ flight levels now- might have to call you an astronaut!  Better keep that differential pumping good on Max Air though!
Those babies are 2 or 3 times the operating costs and maintenance of our Turbo's you think?  Unless someone is still on MSP gold with Honeywell, if so, then it is probably about even, right?

Not that my gold mine has ever found any gold yet nor my oil well has pumped any oil yet, therefore i am not in that type of market, i am very happy with where i am at now!  But what are your thoughts on the Honda Jet compared to the Phenom's?  I know you are a large service center for the Phenom's, so you would probably get into trouble from the Brazilians if you said anything negative about them here and it got out to the public.  Maybe sometime this winter i can come down and buy you a burger and a beer and listen to you talk about P&W 617-F FADEC's Maintenace invoices and compare them to the -10's?
Corey

Happy New Year Corey!  There’s really nothing that does what a Commander does.  We all know that. Short fields, hot and high, long range, low fuel burn, amazing engines, no 61.58 rides, etc. 

But the little 100, even a 6000 hour 14 year old plane, operates for $340/hour for all the parts you can use including wheels and brakes, plus about $480/hour for engines plus some labor for inspections.  Instead of 150 hours, the planes can go 800(!) hours between inspections.  There’s no free lunch!

Anyway, just can’t afford to keep both (plus we have another 840 here) and with people lined up to pay to fly a jet, it makes sense business wise at this time.  We’ll see how it works for us.

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 09:37:13 pm »
Pleased to say that the plane is under agreement and headed to Byerly Aviation for the new panel, paint and interior and inspections. 

EricDapp

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2024, 01:11:48 am »
Long live BUD.

You didn’t fly to oregon last year in this Aircraft did you Bruce?

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 12:56:43 am »
Long live BUD.

You didn’t fly to oregon last year in this Aircraft did you Bruce?

Yes I flew it into Gleneden Beach and stayed at Siletz Bay but I think we staged out of CVO and hopped over then got fuel at Newport on the way out. I was worried that it was a little short and foggy but it turned out ok.

The BUD has been coast to coast for 300 hours and never let me down. Yesterday I flew it into Everglades City and turned off at the terminal which is about 1/2 way down the 2400’ runway. Gotta love these birds.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 06:26:38 pm »
If you were at Gleneden Beach, I assume you mean Salishan? Salishan has seen better days, but it's still a pretty amazing place.

http://www.twincommandergroup.com/index.php?topic=168.0

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2024, 12:50:51 am »
Yes that’s the place where we stayed.  It was for an ophthalmology group to which my wife belongs. And now you know who really pays for the planes 😂

What we Commander owners need to do is organize a run to the Bahamas!