News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Salishan  (Read 10572 times)

donv

• Administrator
Salishan
« on: January 24, 2016, 02:14:13 pm »
In about a month, I am headed to the Salishan resort on the Oregon coast (http://www.salishan.com/). I haven't been there in many years (since I was a kid, really), and I'm looking forward to it.

It has an airport across the street (Gleneden Beach, http://www.airnav.com/airport/S45), which is VFR only, or an ILS-equipped airport 18 miles south (a pretty quick drive, really), Newport OR.

A friend of my family was the developer for Salishan, along with Sun River in central Oregon. He was a great guy, and passed away only a few years ago at the age of 92.

I'll post some pictures after the trip.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
Re: Salishan
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:52:13 pm »
And all this time I thought all of us Commander drivers were kids... seems every time I get back in the left seat I am a "kid" again..... Should be a fun trip

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 02:08:49 am »
I'm the youngest of 5, so I'll always be the kid!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 11:03:37 pm »
I was in Salishan the last few days. Really a beautiful place, although I was there for work-related meetings and didn't get a chance to get out much. Oh, and it was pouring rain-- pretty normal for the Oregon coast, this time of year (probably why we held our meetings there now!).

Architecturally, the resort is really nice-- it was done by a noted northwest architect, John Storrs, in 1965, and it has that mid-century northwest style feeling. It's certainly not new, but it's well maintained.

The airport, Siletz Bay, is right off the end of one of the golf fairways. It's cut out of the trees (they could trim a few more, in my opinion), but at 3200 feet long it's no problem for just about any Commander.

The weather can be unpredictable there, but the great thing is that the airport is right under the fix CUTEL, which is the initial fix for the ILS into Newport. So, file to Newport via CUTEL, and if you are in the clear and can see Siletz Bay, you can cancel and go in. That's what I did. If you can't see it, land at Newport and rent a car.

Definitely worth the trip!

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 04:12:19 pm »
A few pictures... I have to admit that I'm not much of a photographer...

Farmerdan

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 08:57:12 pm »
If you had not told us I would have thought you were a professional photographer.  I'd love to go there sometime.