News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Commander ID  (Read 3741 times)

appleseed

• 500S
Commander ID
« on: April 05, 2024, 02:49:34 am »
Here is a challenge for you experts. Turn your gaze towards the top of this page. Can you identify the two planes? I had always assumed they were the obvious, most common representatives of the turbine and recip line. But, on close inspection the answer is not so obvious. At least not to me.

donv

• Administrator
Re: Commander ID
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 11:41:39 am »
I don't see any airplanes at the top of this page? Maybe I'm running a different format or something?

I thought in the old days it was a 680T or something like that, and maybe a 680F?

Roy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 02:34:26 pm »
The one on the left is a 680Fp, owned by one of the admin's of this website, Glenn. He had a big part in developing this website I believe.

Not sure about the one on the right, but I want to say 840 or 900?

Don, you don't see at top of page the snip I attached? Assuming it attached correctly...

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 03:07:30 pm »
I remember seeing that image, but I don't see it any more.

I'm pretty sure the one on the right is a 680T, maybe owned by some Russian guy?

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 10:18:12 pm »
Correct, the right one is a 680T that flies in Russia with the original -43 engines. I used to remember its N-reg number, but I have forgotten.

Haven't heard from Glenn in years, I'll drop him a text and see what the latest is on the 680FP.

For the new members: that 680FP was owned by a larger-than-life character named Moe Mills, who used to make racing pistons at Ross Racing Pistons. He was a wonderfully vibrant and funny human, but died in a freak head-on accident where a couple of drunk teenagers came across the wrong side of highway without lights on at night. Glenn bought it off the estate, but it was always a fire-breather and not sure he ever got the pressurization entirely working.

UPDATE from Glenn: He still has the 680FP, but it's out of annual. He's busy flying his Lockheed 12.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 10:42:22 pm by Adam Frisch »
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.