News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What's the deal with this 690A?  (Read 15650 times)

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
What's the deal with this 690A?
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:29:41 pm »
Price doesn't compute with those engine hours. Does anybody know the deal with this one?

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Turboprop&make=COMMANDER&model=690A&listing_id=2180607&s-type=aircraft
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
Re: What's the deal with this 690A?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:12:14 pm »
Hard to say. It looks like it's due for hot section shortly on one engine (maybe both?), and on 690s there are plenty of things which could be issues. Or, it could be a bargain. Someone who is very familiar with Commanders needs to look at it to figure out if it's a bargain, or a money pit...

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 07:07:27 am »
It is N17HF and has been for sale a couple of other times in the past year I think.
Aircraft needs just about every thing done to be air worthy (gear, props, all SB's and hot sections) has not flown since early 2013 but has logs. Last year est was $280 to 300 and it still has -5's
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:05:18 am by SKYFLYER »

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 08:57:18 am »
Yeah, I'd say it has something major wrong with it if it is not selling for that price. :-)  Would love to see logbooks and last annual and wing inspection.

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 10:58:14 am »
OK, Skyflyer - good to know.

That means gear inspection around $5K (or $15K for a gear overhaul if the time's up). It means prop inspection or overhaul, which can be anything between $3K to $25K, probably. The aft bulkhead pressure vessel AD is $60K (if that hasn't been done - do you know?), the hot sections are about $60K/each, probably. And if it doesn't have the spar mod, that needs to be inspected, which is about $14K.

So lowest estimation (inspections only, all AD's complied with), this plane needs about $25K spent on it to be able to fly until impending HS inspections, which are imminent on one engine. That is still a decent deal. But worst case scenario, doing all of it, it's $234K. Much less of a deal.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:04:12 pm by Adam Frisch »

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 12:11:38 pm »
I am pretty sure that the AD/SB241 has NOT been complied with and the spar has not been replaced.  Estimates a year ago were  $280+ as most all time related inspections would be overhaul rather than simple inspection (gear, prop, hots etc). Panel is ok but not sure how much is working (auto pilot, etc) I do not think the 430's are WASS and no ads-b compliance.
Total of maybe 30 hrs flying time for 2012 - 2013 then stashed into the hangar corner. So you would have the bulkhead, spar, and all service time inspections.... plus whatever else is needed to make it a safe commander.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 01:09:51 pm »
I can't imagine $25k could get this airplane airworthy, based on Skyflyer's comments. The ad does mention that one of the wing ADs was complied with, but I'm not up enough on 690s to know what that means.

OK, Skyflyer - good to know.

That means gear inspection around $5K (or $15K for a gear overhaul if the time's up). It means prop inspection or overhaul, which can be anything between $3K to $25K, probably. The aft bulkhead pressure vessel AD is $60K (if that hasn't been done - do you know?), the hot sections are about $60K/each, probably. And if it doesn't have the spar mod, that needs to be inspected, which is about $14K.

So lowest estimation (inspections only, all AD's complied with), this plane needs about $25K spent on it to be able to fly until impending HS inspections, which are imminent on one engine. That is still a decent deal. But worst case scenario, doing all of it, it's $234K. Much less of a deal.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 04:04:54 pm by Adam Frisch »

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 04:03:40 pm »
Yeah, just spoke to Morris. He'd seen it before Xmas. Owner says SB 241 is complied with, but there are no doublers visible, so it's not. He says it's $300K to get airworthy. Sounds about right.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 04:19:24 pm »
It would be a good candidate for a Renaissance. If you have to do that much anyway, might as well go the rest of the way.

Sergio Vega

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 04:44:07 pm »
I think I'd buy the sad 980 before I'd buy this airplane, but that's just me. Both are pretty major projects.

SKYFLYER

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 04:53:34 pm »
The person listing the aircraft claims he has a firm contract and is pending closing. So I guess it is sold. If it is true that they "toasted" one of the turbines than Morris was not far off at $300k+ and it is in Central America. And I think Don is right about the 980.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 08:01:35 pm »
While I was working out this afternoon, I was watching a house flipping show on HGTV. Maybe they should have that for Commanders?

"Oops! We blew our budget on those fuel cells! But, good news-- they found the engine logs!"

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 08:50:20 pm »
lol
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.