News: Added Links For Twin Commander and Facebook Pages

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 For Sale at Eagle Creek  (Read 13522 times)

ghancock

• Administrator
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
Re: 1000 For Sale at Eagle Creek
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:59:43 am »
Bring your extra large check book.  ;)
Slumming it in the turboprop world - so you don't have to.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:19:56 pm »
It's been for sale for quite a while. Honestly, I think the Meggitt avionics hurt it a lot.

That system seemed like the hot ticket 10-15 years ago, but today anyone who buys it is going to rip out the ADI/HSI at least and replace it with dual G600s or a G950. And that won't be cheap.

Personally, I'd rather have the 2400 hour TT G950 airplane that they are listing, even if the interior is a bit much.

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1433755/1981-commander-1000

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 01:05:22 pm »
Yeah, the Meggit is almost worse than having a steam panel these days. And that company, Cobham, is also perhaps the worst in the industry when it comes to helpfulness. They take their customers to the cleaners and apply military or big government business logic to their stuff. Cobham wouldn't even issue LOA on used S-Tec autopilots, making them worthless to resell. Should be a law against that practice, if you ask me. A few other manufacturers share the same MO. Thankfully, I think this practice is going away.

The G950 model is wonderful, but I also happen to know what they want for it and that's why it's been sitting for so long. "Nice airplanes always sell" is not true unless the price is also right. Owner also bondo'd the surface smooth during repaint so as to bury all rivet heads, from what I heard . This must add considerable weight to plane and probably is susceptible to cosmetic cracks.

donv

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »
That G950 airplane is probably the lowest time Jetprop in the world-- maybe the lowest time Turbo Commander in the world. And it has a G950, new paint, etc. I would think that it would be worth a big premium.

I have to wonder what the deal is-- maybe you know. Who does paint and interior that distinctive (not saying good or bad, but certainly out of the ordinary) and then goes and tries to sell it right away?

I have to think that price isn't the only reason it's been for sale for a long time-- that interior must really turn some people off. Yet it's new, so I would feel bad about tearing it out and doing it over. Maybe that's just me.

JimC

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 02:17:51 pm »
The one with the 950 is really competing against newer King Airs and not much else. You won't find anything in the KA line that's comparable under $2.5M. Makes the price (I don't know what it is, but I bet it's less than that) seem much more reasonable.
500B, B200

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:46:55 pm »
I'm probably in minority here, but actually think the interior is kinda cool on that one in some modernist way.

Agreed on the KA comparison, but the aviation market is more conservative than the Spanish Inquisition. KA is the standard, that's what everyone is familiar with, so that's what sells, even though a TC beats the crap out of them in every aspect except maybe cabin size. I had the same thing exactly when I sold my Aerostar. Brand new engines, yet everyone was terrified of Aerostars despite the fact that they beat Barons on every point (except for perhaps short takeoff). Nope, they went for the Baron. An Aerostar takes at least a year to sell, Barons perhaps 3 months, and this is with competitive pricing. Too bad, because they're really missing out on a great plane.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:58:32 pm by Adam Frisch »

Bruce Byerly

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 01:24:51 am »
I have N695AB listed for sale. It's $1,325,000 ask and now has the GTN750 and more. It's a great plane.  If you'd like more info, please let me know.

Since I certified the Meggitt in the first installation circa 1999 (N690RC at the time), I'm quite familiar with the pros and cons.  Bottom line is that it's a great Garmin G600 type upgrade to candidate if you want the latest.  The current owner bought it with a plan to upgrade to a G950 but frankly, the avionics work very well and have proven reliable for him.   His flying needs have changed so the plane is for sale.

I'm the first one to complain about poor Mfg support.  Fortunately, Cobham sold Stec back to Managment in 2014.  The remainder of the system, things like Cobham ADAHRS, may give an owner something to complain about.  Ironically, the last time I had a failed ADAHRS, I was throwing a minor fit about the $14k price and unreliability of the part but the parts expert just chuckled and reminded me that it had been 5 years since we last sold one.  Considering the dozens of  installs supported, even I was surprised.  It's certainly no G600, but it works and more trustworthy than an FD112V crammed full of hundreds of moving parts the soup anyway. 

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:47:09 am »
I have N695AB listed for sale. It's $1,325,000 ask and now has the GTN750 and more. It's a great plane.  If you'd like more info, please let me know.

I need this. Yeah, just one last question - will owner carry/finance with 20% down? ;)

ghancock

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 08:11:53 am »
I don't know Adam, will you ?   :-)

lol

Glenn
--glenn
You can't win an argument with an ignorant person,  they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Adam Frisch

• Administrator
    • Adam Frisch FSF
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 08:37:36 am »
Ha. I'm always broke, so probably not!  :D